Monday, January 28, 2013

{Train Bedroom~~Curtains}

I found a picture of a train bedroom that had a train track on one of the walls and just loved it, you can see it here.  I knew that we didn't have enough wall space for that but I was determined to somehow work a track into the room.  I came up with a railroad track curtain rod.

For the rail road ties I used the ends of cedar fence pickets that were left over from the Cargo Box project.  For the rail I found an 8 foot piece of square aluminum pipe at Home Depot.  I attached the pickets to the wall with Command Picture Hanging Strips (I stapeled them to the wood) and the pipe is attached using a corner bracket.

 
The curtain is a tab back curtain.  The main part of the curtain is a dark grey curtain pannel I found at Ikea in their markdown section.  I wanted to use a duck cloth but could not find it in any shade of grey.  The curtain I found has a similar texture and it was cheaper, bonus!    To keeps the light (and the cold) out it is lined with black out fabric from Joann Fabrics.  The stripes on the ends are 6 inches wide.  I found this great railroad sign fabric on Fabric.com but when I went to order it (and needed it soon) it was temporarily out of stock.  I searched all the local fabric/quilting shops and no luck.  Someone told me to try equilter.com and they had it. The name of it is:  Timeless Treasures Planes, Trains & Automobiles Train Signs Black and can be found here and here.

 
Milo's room stays nice and dark in the mornings, now if he would just sleep a little later on the weekends...

No comments:

Post a Comment