Sunday, February 3, 2013

{Melted Crayon Laundry Disaster}

Laundry disaster!  I forgot to check the secret pocket on his hoodie and a yellow crayon made it through the washer and the dryer.  The only 2 pieces of clothes in the entire load that got yellow crayon melted on was his elephant hoodie that I made for him and a pair of jeans.  The hoodie got it the worst, by far.  Mostly on the hood, but quite a bit of it.

 
I had no idea how to remove this much melted crayon from clothes so it sat in the laundry area for months.  I finally decided to tackle my problem so where did I start?  Google of course!  I came across a blog that sung the praises of LA's Totally Awesome so I gave it a go.  I found this stain remover at Family Dollar for only $1 a bottle. 
 
 
She said to put the clothing in the wash on the hottest, longest setting and add half the bottle.  I also pre-treated the spots with a bit of the stain remover as well.  No scrubbing, no elbow grease required.


 After the first wash quite a bit of the crayon was gone and what was left seemed to have balled up on the surface of the fabric.  I scraped off what I could with my fingernail and sent it through the wash again.  I pre-treated the spots and added about a 1/3 cup of the stain remover.


After the second wash all that is left is a faint yellow spot on the top of the hood.  The spot on the inside of the hood is gone as is the spot on the solid part of the hood.  I am hopeful that the remaining spot will fade more when washed again.  To say I am releaved that this hoodie was saved is an understatement.  It is one of my favorite things that I have made for him.  In fact I'm working on a pair of matching sweatpants.

I would have to say that LA's Totally Awesome has definately lived up to it's name!

No comments:

Post a Comment